There's just something so comforting about a bowl of homemade tomato soup. Whether you pair it with a good ol' grilled cheese sandwich or have it all by itself, you can't go wrong with the simplicity of such a classic dish. If you're looking for a way to spice up your tried-and-true recipe, this vegan version, originally published by TikTok user @micaefeathers, is a delicious way to go.
Traditional tomato soup recipes usually get their creaminess from milk or heavy cream, but this one uses coconut milk instead. Now, you might be thinking coconut and tomato are questionable combo, but rest assured, there's no underlying tropical flavor whatsoever. Quite the opposite, in fact. The flavor of this soup is the epitome of fall. It has a ton of basil, a little bit of heat from the chili peppers, the perfect amount of onions and garlic, and the fresh tomatoes bring it all together. Get ready for your kitchen to smell like an autumnal dream come true, because this tomato soup is as aromatic as it is tasty.
For all the flavors packed into this dish, it's surprisingly easy to make. You basically toss all the veggies together in an oiled Dutch oven, let them sweat for a good 30 minutes, blend it all up with coconut milk and vegetable broth, and it's ready to serve. This tomato soup is creamy, cozy, and best of all, it's vegan-friendly, too. Ready to taste it for yourself? Read on for the full recipe.
- • 1 large head of garlic (or 2 small ones)
• 4 cups of tomatoes
• 1 onion
• 1 basil bunch
• 2-3 chili peppers, such as serrano or cayenne
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 cup coconut milk
• 1/2 cup vegetable broth
• Red pepper flakes and more basil, for garnish
- Add garlic, tomatoes, onion, basil, chili peppers, salt and pepper, and olive oil to an oven-safe Dutch oven, cover, and roast for 30 minutes at at 480°F.
- Remove pot from oven, and discard garlic peels and stems from chili peppers.
- Pour in coconut milk and veggie broth, and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes, more basil and coconut milk, and enjoy!
- 1 quart
- Prep Time
- 45 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 14 minutes, 59 seconds