POPSUGAR is bringing you an exclusive look at Thanksgiving recipes from famous lifestyle influencers. We're excited to present the first online look at this apple crumble recipe from Molly Sims, whose YouTube channel features yummy recipes like this one!
I'm normally all for a "skinny swap," but not during the holidays. I crave some good old-fashioned Southern cooking. This apple crumble comes straight from my mom, Dorothy Sims. It's delicious and completely foolproof!
While baking, you’ll be able to tell the pie is done if it is bubbling — especially in the center. Also, a toothpick is a great indicator. Insert a wooden toothpick in the center of pie. If you remove and there is still a bit of batter, it still needs more time.
If you don't have a pastry blender for the shortening, use a food processor.
- For the crust:
3 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup shortening
8-10 tablespoons cold water
- For the apple crumble:
1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
7-8 apples, various colors
- For the crust: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour and salt. Blend the shortening in a pastry blender until the pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over the mixture and gently toss with a fork. Repeat until all is moistened.
- Form into a ball and divide in half. Flatten on lightly floured surface by pressing the edge of your hand 3 times across in both directions. Roll from the center to the edge until 1/8-inch thick. Place in pie dish and form to the shape.
- For the crumble: Mix the butter, sugar, flour, and 2-3 shakes ground cinnamon and make a crumb. Put 1/2 of the crumb mixture in the bottom of your pie shell.
- Core and peel the apples, slicing them thinly. Layer the apples on top of the crumble. Sprinkle the top with 2-3 shakes cinnamon. Layer more crumb mixture on top of apples. Sprinkle 2-3 shakes ground cinnamon and a pinch of sugar on top of finished pie.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, adding or subtracting time depending on how fast your oven bakes.
- Desserts, Pies/Tarts
- North American
- Serves 6-9